Bonham Road Government Primary School in Sai Ying Pun, the Old Tai Po Police Station and Hip Tin Temple in Sha Tau Kok have been declared as monuments. The declarations were gazetted recently under the Antiquities & Monuments Ordinance.
Bonham Road Government Primary School premises were originally built between 1940 and 1941 to house the Northcote Training College, the first full-time teacher training college in Hong Kong, established in 1939.
The campus' main building is a prominent example of Streamline Moderne buildings in Hong Kong, characterised by curves and horizontal lines and being functional with minimal ornamentation. The air raid shelters there bore witness to the Japanese invasion.
Built in 1899, the Old Tai Po Police Station was the first police station in the New Territories and the oldest surviving police station there. It was left vacant during the Japanese occupation and resumed use after the occupation period until 1987.
The old police station comprises three single-storey utilitarian buildings, namely the main building, the staff quarters block and the canteen block, drawn together by a spacious and flat lawn.
Hip Tin Temple was rebuilt between 1894 and 1895 to replace an earlier temple dedicated for deity Kwan Tai who was bestowed the title Hip Tin in the Ming dynasty. The temple has served as a place to deliver religious, communal and educational functions for the local community and used to be a village school in the last century.
Click here for details.
Bonham Road Government Primary School